Sun Valley Idaho 83353
* Veteran writer and editor with an abiding interest in science and natural history issues..
* Effective presenter, teacher and performer with exceptional public speaking skills.
* Innovative program marketing and administration professional.
Experience and Accomplishments in Writing, Editing, Publishing
* Received federal contract to research and write interpretive programs and prepare interpretive handouts for the National Historic Oregon Trail Interpretive Center, Baker City, Oregon.
* Authored scripts and speeches for history-based programs presented at conventions, meetings, theaters, museums and county fairs by Historic Speakers Bureau.
* Author of the Environmental Impact Statement for Galena Lodge, Sawtooth National Recreation Area, Idaho.
* Published a book-length collection of columns and essays on rural life issues, titled Rural Delivery.
* Author of "A 125-Year History of Galena" published by Blaine County Recreation District
* Copywriter for ten consecutive annual reports of Galena Lodge and the North Valley Trails for Blaine County Recreation District, Hailey, Idaho.
* Columnist for The Capital Press newspaper, writing a bi-weekly column on rural life issues, titled "Outrider," 1992-2008.
* Feature writer for Back Stage, a theatre trade newspaper based in New York, 1985-1990.
* Resident science writer at University of Idaho, covering research in colleges of agriculture, arts & sciences, engineering, forestry, mines & earth resources.
* Freelance journalist/writer specializing in coverage of science, environment and natural history issues for dozens of national magazines and newspapers.
* Author of "Book Notes Wild" nature writing book review column in the literary journal, The Snowy Egret.
* Author of successful grant applications for the Kansas ARC, Idaho Repertory Theatre, Blaine County Recreation District, Southern Idaho Solid Waste and the Crossroads Center for the Creative & Performing Arts.
* Editor of revised edition of The Book of Bests, published by Andrews & McMeel.
* Senior editor of a consumer newsletter based in Manhattan, The Best Report, supervising staff writers and field editors, editing, fact-checking, proofing and writing.
* Author of "Country Living" chapter in The Expert's Book of Hints, Tips & Evervday Wisdom, published by Rodale Press.
* Author of “The Practice of Country Politics” in American Government: Readings from Across Society, published by Longman.
* Author of 80th anniversary history of the Magic Valley Regional Medical Center, Twin Falls, Idaho.
* Designed, developed and produced faculty-staff newsletter for University of Idaho for the purpose of improving in-house communications.
* Created and published monthly newsletter on regional live stage entertainment, The Northwest Stage.
Experience and Accomplishments as an Educator, Presenter and Performer
* Performed in historic interpretation roles recreating significant scientific, literary and political figures of the 19th century through Historic Speakers Bureau, Baker City, Oregon.
* Designed, composed and led interpretive trail hikes at the National Historic Oregon Trail Interpretive Center, Baker City, Oregon.
* Delivered speeches, led workshops, created education materials, and delivered classroom presentations on recycling for Southern Idaho Solid Waste.
* Taught class on writing for publication, University of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho.
* Organized and led play reading program for adults, Crossroads Center for the Creative and Performing Arts, Baker City, Oregon.
* Taught class on comedy acting for kids, Crossroads Center for the Creative and Performing Arts, Baker City, Oregon.
* Made numerous public presentations on arts and recreation programming for the developmentally disabled throughout the state of Kansas and at out-of-state meetings as Special Projects Coordinator for Kansas ARC, Merriam, Kansas.
* Conceived, organized and promoted nationwide playwrighting competition for full-length plays on the subject of developmental disabilities for Kansas ARC, culminating with a staged production of the winning script -- "Take a Card, Any Card" -- at Kansas State University.
* Performed professionally as an actor with Idaho Public Theatre, Boise, Idaho.
Experience and Accomplishments in Program Administration and Marketing
* Developed and administered award-winning recycling education and marketing programs for Southern Idaho Solid Waste across a five-county region of Idaho.
* Administered a staff of junior editors and a network of freelance correspondents as senior editor of The Best Report, an upscale consumer magazine in New York, New York.
* Created, developed, and managed Farmer's Market Online email newsletter and website as a specialty niche platform for producers selling their goods direct to the consumer; currently serving more than 200 vendors and attracting nearly 2,000 unique visitors daily. Responsible for all aspects of the business, including financial planning, design, graphics, web content, copywriting, sales and promotion..
* Produced, edited and distributed educational video programs and public service announcements promoting recycling and composting for Southern Idaho Solid Waste District.
* Developed and managed unique online "Southern Idaho Waste Exchange" for Southern Idaho Solide Waste District to encourage re-use of materials that might otherwise be landfilled.
* Developed and administered unique and innovative arts and recreation programs for developmentally disabled citizens of Kansas -- including Tennis Tour, Rodeo, and Performing Arts Competition -- designed to encourage "normalization" and positively influence attitudes of general public and handicapped populations.
* Directed marketing campaign that resurrected University of Idaho’s summer theatre program as Idaho Repertory Theatre and dramatically increased community support and box office revenues. Developed new community partnerships through volunteer group (Community Associates for Summer Theatre) which held fund-raising activities, sponsored special events and sold season tickets.
* Planned, developed and successfully implemented public information programs for employers and clients, including Southern Idaho Solid Waste District, National Historic Oregon Trail Interpretive Center, Crossroads Center for the Creative and Performing Arts, Blaine County Recreation District, Idaho Repertory Theatre, Kansas Association for Retarded Citizens, and University of Idaho.
* Served as administrator for community arts center in Baker City, Oregon, developing programs, coordinating volunteers, fundraising and writing grants.
* Consulted on the design and organization of content for the website of the Magic Valley Regional Medical Center, Twin Falls, Idaho.
* Developed, designed and maintained website for the Association of Idaho Recyclers to market and promote the organization, Boise, Idaho.
* Designed and maintained "Farm to Fork Exchange" website to promote sustainable agriculture for Idaho Rural Council, Twin Falls, Idaho.
* Researched, drafted, edited and/or distributed news releases for employers and clients.
* Produced, coordinated and distributed 45 rpm record to radio stations in the state of Kansas featuring original songs about opportunities for developmentally disabled citizens performed by recording artist Fletcher Foster.
* Supervised statewide network of community volunteers in development of local arts and recreation programs for developmentally disabled individuals in Kansas.
Chronology of Experience
* Publisher, Internet Marketing Director/Web Content Writer and Editor, Farmer's Market Online, Oregon and Idaho. June 1994 to present.
* Creative Director, Historic Speakers Bureau, Baker City, Oregon. August 2005 to July, 2007.
* Packaged Foods Department Manager, Greater Baker Food Co-op. November 2003 to June 2005.
* Administrative Director and Grant Writer, Crossroads Center for the Creative and Performing Arts, Baker City, Oregon. March 2003 to September 2003.
* Community Educator/Recycling Coordinator, Southern Idaho Solid Waste, Burley, Idaho. October 1996 to March 2003.
* Columnist and Correspondent, The Capital Press, regional Northwest ag newspaper. January 1992 to present.
* Writer and Editor, Outrider News Service, Ketchum, Idaho and Baker City, Oregon. April 1991 to May 2007.
* Blaine County correspondent, The Times-News, Twin Falls, Idaho, April 1991 to January 1995.
* Reporter, Wood River Journal, Hailey, Idaho. September 1989 to April 1991.
* Sports Editor, Central Oregonian, Prineville, Oregon. July 1988 to August 1989.
* Freelance Travel/Science Writer, New York, New York and Seattle, Washington. May 1986 to August 1989.
* Senior Editor, The Best Report, New York, New York. October 1984 to May 1986.
* Marketing Director, Idaho Repertory Theatre, Moscow, Idaho. June 1984 to September 1984.
* Editor, Moscow Magazine, Moscow, Idaho. January 1984 to September 1984.
* Arts Columnist and Critic, Lewiston Morning Tribune, January 1982 to May 1984
* Communications Specialist/Science Writer, University of Idaho News Bureau, Moscow, Idaho. October 1981 to January 1984.
* Sports Editor/News Editor, Tillamook Headlight-Herald, Tillamook, Oregon. August 1980 to October 1981.
* Special Projects Coordinator, Kansas ARC, Merriam, Kansas. October 1978 to July 1980.
* Project Coordinator, Idaho Public Theatre, Boise, Idaho. October 1977 to September 1978.
* Graduated with Honors from Boise State University in 1978 with a Bachelors Degree in Communications with an English emphasis.
* Completed British Theatre Association Summer Training Program in Cheltenham, England, 1977.
* Experienced with Macintosh and Windows-based computer environments.
* Familiar with Microsoft Office applications, particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
* Knowledgable and experienced in the use of HTML, Nvu, FrontPage and other Web technologies to create and edit Web pages.
* Experienced with using social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook and Youtube to distribute information and build communities.
* Experienced with desktop publishing software programs, including Adobe InDesign, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator.
* Able and willing to learn new software to complete assignments as needed.
* Knowledge of publishing techniques, including the editorial, graphic design and printing/production aspects of publishing.
Awards, Appointments and Elective Office
* Precinct Committeeman, 2004, Baker County, Oregon.
* Bronze Award, 1999. Recycling Program. Solid Waste Association of North America .
* City Councilman, 1992-1993, Bellevue, Idaho.
* Beyond War Award, Environmental Journalism, 1991.
* Excellence in Journalism 1990. First Place, Second Place in General Columns. Second Place in Feature Writing. Society of Professional Journalists.
* American Forests Magazine
* America West Airlines Magazine
* Amtrak Express
* Arizona Highways
* Association of Idaho Recyclers
* Back Stage
* Blaine County Recreation District
* Bureau of Land Management
* California Highway Patrolman Magazine
* Career World
* Chicago Tribune
* Country America Magazine
* Country Fold Art Magazine
* Country Journal
* Earth Magazine
* Emergency Magazine
* Empire Magazine (Denver Post)
* Family Fun Magazine
* Farm Times
* Ford Times
* Heartland USA
* High Country News
* Idaho Grain Magazine
* Idaho Rural Council
* Kiwanis Magazine
* Learning Magazine
* Magic Valley Regional Medical Center
* Maine Organic Farmers & Gardener
* Men's Fitness
* Modern Maturity
* Montana Magazine
* MotorHome Magazine
* New York Daily News
* Northwest Magazine (Oregonian)
* Outside Magazine
* Out West
* Pacific Northwest Magazine
* Performance Magazine
* Puget Sound Computer User
* Seattle Weekly
* Small Farm Today
* Sports Retailer
* The Bloomsbury Review
* The Capital Press
* The Office
* True West
* Twin Falls Times-News
* USAir Magazine
* Western Horseman
* Wild West
* Wyoming Rural Electric News
* U.S. News and World Report; Best Small Business to Start: Manager, Online Farmers' Market